Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reusable shopping bag tutorial

As promised here is my shopping bag tutorial.
Turn this:
Into this:

and this:

Things you'll need:
  • Reusable shopping bags (I used the ones from wally world)
  • fabric to cover the logo printed on them
  • scraps of fabric to applique
  • lite wonder under
  • carabiner (little metal clip)
  • 3/4"- 1" elastic
  • velcro

The first thing you will need to do is measure the width and height of the area you are going to cover with fabric. You will cut your fabric 1" bigger than the measurement for height and width.
Next you will want to cut out your applique. I cut out my letter on the wonder under first~just remember the design will be backwards. Then I cut it out and ironed it onto my fabric and cut out the fabric. It would be easier to just iron a chunk of wonder under to your fabric and then cut out the applique.


After you iron it in place and you will want to applique around it using a zigzag stitch. I use a tight stitch.

You will then iron under 1/2" on the top and bottom of the fabric and then on the sides.


I then placed it on my back to make sure that it covered the logo still. (after all that is why I am putting fabric on the bag~I refuse to buy their bag and then advertise for them because they have plastered their logo on my bag)

Now you will pin the fabric down making sure not to catch the back of the bag and stitch it in place.

Cut a 3" piece of elastic and cut 1 " pieces of velcro. Sew the rough side of velcro to one end of the elastic and sew the soft side to the back of the bag about 7" down and 3" from the side. You just want it to line up with where you are going to sew the elastic on the top. Sew the elastic to the top of the bag next to the handle with the velcro facing down. I sewed around the sides and then did an x in the middle for extra strength.

That is it for the sewing part.
Now to fold the bag. Put the handles on the front of the bag.
Fold the bag in half length wise.
Now fold the bag in half from bottom to top.
Fold it again from bottom to top and fasten Velcro.
Hook them onto your carabiner s/p and you are ready to roll. I love having them all on the carabiner because then I can hook it to the side of my shopping cart. So that when I am finished shopping I don't have a bunch of groceries on top of my bags.
Just let me know if you have any questions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment