Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial Key fobs

Key Fob Tutorial
Supplies:

Key Fob Hardware (I get mine on etsy)

Fusible fleece

2 coordinating fabrics that are each 2.25" x 12"

of course a sewing machine helps too!

Here are the 3 fabric items. I was feeling patriotic so that is what I went with. I just pieced together the stars and stripes fabric but, normally I just use 2 solid pieces of fabric.Iron your fusible fleece onto the fabric that you are going to be using on the outside of the Key fob. If you are going to embroider or embellish your fabric w/ anything now is the time to do it.
Put your 2 pieces of fabric right sides together. Use a 5/8" seam as pictured below.




Open up the fabric and put wrong sides together. Now you are going to sew about 1/8" from the edge of the fabric. This is personal preference you can go closer or further. This is going to help the fabric lay down so that it isn't annoying the snot out of you while working w/ the other side.
Now I topstitch about another 1/8" or so from the last line, like I said this is just personal preference you don't even need to do 2 rows of topstitching.


This is what it should look like after both rows of topstitching are done on the one side.

Now you are going to fold over the raw edges on the other side 1/2". I pin down the top layer just to hold it in place. Then I fold over the bottom layer 1/2" and pin them together. Hopefully, you will understand what I am saying by using the pics.



Now you are going to sew about 1/8" from the edge and do another row of topstitching just like you did on the other side.

This is what it should look like minus the wonky edge that I didn't sew so well apparently. Ughhh....my Pfaff is acting up and I am using a 99 dollar brother from wally world and I just don't have as much control w/ it as my Pfaff.

Here is a pic. of the key fob hardware. Like I said I order my from etsy and it ends up being about 40 cents per set.

Fold the fabric in half and then you are going to place the unfinished upper edge into the key fob hardware that has the clamp like part.

Clamp down on the key fob hardware using pliers or something like that. Make sure you put a towel in between your tool and the hardware or it will leave marks on it.

Here it is all finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment